Windscreen wiper arm replacement
What does the windshield wiper arm do?
The windscreen wipers keep the windscreen clear during rain, snow, or when dirt or bugs obstruct the view. When the windscreen wiper is turned on, power goes to the windscreen wiper motor and transmission. The wiper transmission is attached to the wiper arms, which, in turn, are connected to the wiper blades. The wiper transmission makes the wiper arms move in a back-and-forth motion against the windscreen or back window, allowing the wiper blades to keep them clean and clear. When the wiper blades aren’t touching the window, they’ll chatter continuously against the window when turned on, or they’ll move, but one or both of the wiper arms will be stuck. It’s probably time to replace your windscreen wiper arms.
Please note, you should:
- install new wiper blades any time a windscreen wiper arm is replaced,
- replace both windscreen wiper arms at the same time.
How it’s done:
- The hood is opened and supported as needed. The wipers are put into the park position (the wipers rest when not in use) before removing the wiper arm. The position is noted by a small grease marker mark on the windshield
- The old wiper arm is removed from the vehicle
- The new wiper arm is installed and aligned with the mark on the window
- Any marks are removed from the window using glass cleaner.
- The hood is closed as required and the wipers are tested for proper operation
- The windshield wipers are tested for proper operation with a hose running water on the window
The windshield wiper arms are responsible for keeping your windshield clear and maintaining your road visibility. If you can’t see the road properly because your wipers aren’t working well, schedule an inspection.
How do I know when to replace the windscreen wiper arm?
- Wiper blades streak
- Wipers chatter when going back and forth
- One or both wiper blades don’t move when turned on
- The wiper blade doesn’t touch the window when swiping
How important is this service?
Clearly seeing your way down the road is one of the most critical factors in driving. If your wipers aren’t working correctly, get the system checked right away.