Boot Light Bulb Replacement
What is the Boot Light Bulb all about?
The boot is an enclosed space where you are able to store or transport your possessions. As it is a secured place, natural light does not illuminate the boot compartment. The light bulb or bulbs that illuminate the boot is controlled by a switch that is either mounted to the boot lid, indicating its position based on the position of the boot lid or is located in the boot latch. The boot and its contents are then visible for you to insert or remove items. The boot bulb turns off again when the boot lid is closed.
Keep in mind:
- The boot light only turns on when the boot is open. Accessing the boot through a rear-seat pass-through will not turn the boot light on.
- The boot light may be equipped with an override switch to shut it off. Check to make sure the override switch in the boot hasn’t been accidentally bumped or turned off.
- A loose bulb filament can cause intermittent boot light operation; replacing the bulb should fix the problem.
How it’s done:
- The boot light is verified to be inoperative
- The inside boot light panel is removed and the inoperative bulb is removed and checked with an ohmmeter
- The new boot light bulb is installed
- The boot light bulb panel is installed
- The boot is opened and closed to check the operation of the boot light
If the boot light bulb doesn’t illuminate when the boot is opened or if the light illuminates only at times when the boot lid is lifted, you may need to have the light bulb replaced.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the boot Light Bulb?
- The boot light bulb doesn’t illuminate when the boot is opened
- The boot light works intermittently when the boot is opened
- boot light is glowing dimly
How important is this service?
The boot light is a convenience item since not all vehicles are equipped with a boot light bulb. It does, however, make inserting and removing the contents of your boot much easier, especially in dark or dimly lit environments. Have a burnt-out boot light bulb replaced at your earliest convenience.