Car Door Lock Switch Replacement
What is the Door Lock Switch all about?
Door lock switches are electrical rocker switches that are used to lock and unlock car doors. When you activate the switch, it sends a signal to the door lock relay to activate the door lock actuator inside the door. Due to frequent use, the switches and electrical currents running through them eventually fail, requiring replacement.
Keep in mind:
- Many modern vehicles have a complete lock assembly which needs to be replaced if the switch dies.
How it’s done:
- Test the operation of the electric door locks.
- Test the fuse for that circuit.
- Test the relay.
- Replace the faulty door lock switch.
- Test for proper operation of electric door locks.
Door lock systems are not a part of regular maintenance, but it’s not rare for the switches to die. If you notice that your vehicle is not locking and unlocking when you press the corresponding buttons, it’s time to schedule an inspection.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Door Lock Switch?
- Doors will not lock or unlock with the switch.
How important is this service?
The door lock switch acts as a remote for the door lock actuator, which is responsible for locking and unlocking your vehicle’s doors. When you press the lock or unlock button, the switch triggers the actuator, and the door is locked or unlocked. When the lock switch dies, the actuator has no way of being activated, and your door locks will stop functioning.